Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Clarins Multi-Active Day Early Wrinkle Correction Cream (and Clarins Day Routine)

I've decided to switch my entire skincare routine to Clarins products to really test out the line. I know that my skin does not react poorly to any of them after trying them all separately so I had no qualms about using them all at the same time. I reasoned that the products may work more effectively if used properly and in conjunction with one another. I'm going to split the review into two parts, this part is the "day routine" and the review is concentrated on the Multi-Active Day Early Wrinkle Correction Cream but I'll tell you all the day products I've been using with it.

First, the cleanser. I've already reviewed the Clarins Gentle Foaming Cleanser. Despite my initial reservations about using it full-time, in the thick of summer I went ahead and did it. So far, I am still liking the cleanser. Even with twice daily use, I haven't had any problems with it. I've even used it with my Clarisonic Mia and it was fine.

Next, the serum. I had a sample of the Multi-Active Skin Renewal Serum. The sample is .35 oz. and ran out rather quickly so I can't say whether or not it was efficient. I thought it was nice. I had no problems with its odor or texture. It applied easily and absorbed reasonably quickly. However, I don't think that I had a chance to use it enough to say whether I like it or not. I thought it was ok. I didn't notice any immediate reaction from using it and I don't think that I liked it enough to spend $62 on the full-size product (1.04 oz).




So while I didn't use the serum for an extended period, I used the cream for much longer than that. I'm still using it now because I had a number of half ounce sample tubes of it. These have been repackaged although as far as I can tell, the product is exactly the same as the old Multi-Active Day Cream that Clarins used to sell. I've gone through 2 full-size tubs of that (1.7 oz each) and my reaction to the product is the same. First, the odor bothers me. Many Clarins products are highly-scented. If I think back to every single one that I've used, they all have a fragrance. For some reason, the fragrance of the Multi-Active Day Cream smells a little like chlorine to me. It dissipates in time but that first whiff isn't the most pleasant experience for me.




Second, I find the cream to be very thick. I don't generally prefer lotion formulas. I like creams. But this one is pretty heavy, especially for summer. I try to warm up the product in my hand and apply to the face by pressing my palms into the skin. This works a lot better than rubbing it into skin but I still feel that this is too thick. I sometimes feel that I get sweaty after I put it on! It is nicely moisturizing though. And if I could just lay out one last gripe, this does not have SPF so I have to use the Clarins UV Plus HP Day Screen High Protection SPF 40 to finish the day routine. (The picture below is one of a few samples of this product that I have received.) This is a runny white liquid that leaves a slight white cast. I find that it's nice to use with makeup though and the white cast is not bothersome if I can put foundation over it. It's not moisturizing so it's a good balance if you use this with the day cream and it has a nice smell.




At the end of this exercise, I've found that my skin was in pretty good shape, even a little glowy. The products are definitely good. I can't say that my wrinkles have diminished or that my skin is healthier. I just sense that my skin is being well-cared for when using them. I imagine that one could get similar results with less expensive products but I'm still trying to work out the best routine for me. I think this one is worth considering although I'd prefer an anti-wrinkle day cream that is easier to apply (not as thick and heavy) and already has SPF.

No comments:

Post a Comment