Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Wet N Wild ColorIcon Eye Shadow Singles in Brulee and Nutty

I'm always on the lookout for new versions of my most used shades: beige and taupe. When I'm trying out a brand, I try to reach for those two shades in singles, if the brand doesn't offer a palette of neutrals. I like to wear colorful eyeliner every now and then and I've found that taupe is a good lid color that doesn't compete for attention and beige is useful as a highlighter or an allover lid wash, no matter what colors I'm wearing.


Wet N Wild Brulee and Nutty Eye Shadow Singles

I've heard some impressive things about Wet N Wild eyeshadows lately but as my local Target does not seem to carry them, and all of the drugstores I'd been to were out of stock, I got these at a newly-opened Five Below which carried a display of fresh Wet N Wild items. At $1.99 apiece, I honestly didn't have the greatest expectations.




Well, let me tell you. These two are really nice. Brulee is a matte beige and Nutty is a somewhat shimmery taupe. Used together for a neutral everyday eye, with primer on, they last the entire day without fading or creasing. They apply smoothly, aren't very powdery and at the current price point, seem to be a good buy overall. I can't say if these qualities go across the board and I was wary of picking up other shades in the singles because I didn't foresee much use for the brighter colors. But my experience with these two singles proved far superior to my experience with the trios (which I will review in a few days). For a Wet N Wild fix, Brulee and Nutty are probably your best options.


Brulee

Nutty

Swatches from left: Brulee and Nutty

I have to add, however, that Nutty is more shimmery than the taupes I regularly reach for. It's not full-on shiny but there is a shimmer factor. If you like that in your everyday taupe, then this one is for you. For me, I like it a bit toned down. The taupes I regularly reach for now are Burberry's Rosewood which is close in finish but less brown and more grey (swatched here) and the JK Jemma Kidd Vanity Fair that I recently picked up, which is darker and matte. If you like to toss inexpensive makeup into the car for emergency situations or you don't want to bring your pricier favorites on trips for fear of lost baggage, the Nutty and Brulee combo is a nice go-to set.

No comments:

Post a Comment