Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Revlon Luxurious Color Perle Eye Shadow in Violet Starlet and Lilac Shimmer

This is the last pair of eye shadow singles I'll be reviewing from Revlon's line. This is the Perle duo (as in two eye shadows) of Violet Starlet and Lilac Shimmer which I was able to get together. They were packaged and sold as a single item, two for the price of one.


Left: Lilac Shimmer, Right: Violet Starlet

Violet eyeshadow holds a special place for me. I think it's one of those really flattering colors when worn right. If I need color, Violet is one of those perk me up shades I turn to. Green is the other one. But that's beside the point. I'm not entirely sure what makes for a perle finish because these two are completely different from one another. Looking at Violet Starlet in the pan, you'd expect a hint of shimmer but this applies almost like a matte. Almost. Lilac Shimmer, on the other hand, is not only shimmery, it has huge bits of silver glitter.

I did a monochromatic look, layering these two shades with a metallic silvery violet cream shadow (Laura Mercier's Titanium Metallic Creme Eye Colour). I used Lilac Shimmer for the inner two thirds of the eye and Violet Starlet on the crease and the outer third, bleding into the lilac. While I was able to produce something pretty, it's not a look I'd try again. The dealbreaker for me was the glitter. I spent so much time trying to get the glitter off my face with a few strips of tape. It was the only way to get it off. There just wasn't any way to apply it without getting the glitter fallout from Lilac Shimmer. It's a pity because I do like the color and I don't even mind the high shimmer finish. Violet Starlet though seems like a shade I'll be keeping in my stash. I used these with the cream base so I didn't have problems with creasing or fading. And glittery as it was, I didn't deal with any irritation on the eye. Even blending wasn't such an issue.

With that, I conclude my feature on Revlon Eye Shadow singles. The Satin shades Polished Bronze and Nude Slip were the best ones. For creasework, I'd keep Rich Sable and Violet Starlet. I'd skip the rest. Here are the swatches of the entire family.


Swatches without primer, from left: Rich Sable, Polished Bronze, Nude Slip, Peach Sorbet, Lilac Shimmer, Violet Starlet

I don't want to inundate you with eyeshadow features but I do have a backlog building here. I'm hoping to get the Wet N Wild reviews out soon. After which I'll move on to some pretty polishes for fall/winter. I'm currently wearing Butter's Toff which I'm absolutely loving on my toes. Keep you posted :)

No comments:

Post a Comment