Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Revlon ColorStay Mineral Bronzer in Golden Bronze

Revlon ColorStay Mineral Bronzer in 040 Golden Bronze

Last Friday, my family trooped over to the nearest Old Navy to see if there was anything worth getting with a 20% off coupon. That experience turned out to be a total failure as most items felt like they'd gone up in price and down in quality. I walked out of there with a couple of pairs of clearance pajama shorts sets for my daughter and that was it. Not wanting to have wasted the trip, I sauntered over next door to a brand new Five Below and was surprised that they carried makeup other than dollar eyeshadow and nailpolish for kids. The Wet N Wild display was fresh and fully-stocked and they had little jars filled with Revlon bronzers at $4.99.




The Revlon ColorStay Mineral Blush and Bronzer line was never very interesting to me simply because it looked like a lot of money (over $10 each in most places) for very little product (.04 oz.). They also looked baked and I typically don't have a very good experience with baked products. Well, the bronzer in Golden Bronze had finally gone on sale at my local Target (somewhere in the $6 range) and if there are any left at your store, I wouldn't be surprised if it had been marked down to somewhere between three and four dollars. Now at that price range, I figured it was finally worth a look.


Golden Bronze

I can't say I was wowed by the experience but using the bronzer for the first time, I thought that the color was actually not bad. It goes on very light, even for me, and I like light bronzers. This particular one, I have to pile on. With multiple dips in the pan, I've found that I could generate a touch of golden color without fear of looking over-baked.

If you want to use it as a very light cheek contouring bronzer, it could work it doesn't really work. I'm pretty fair and I could use this all over my face. It doesn't contour anything. It just gives you a kind of golden allover color. Using it in conjunction with the Petal shade from the line and just on the cheeks, it looked nice. I think Petal improved the overall look. However, I suggest grabbing a natural hair contouring/blush brush as it will pick up the pigment better. The synthetic brushes I've tried with it could barely grab color.



The swatch... sooooo light!

I've grown to appreciate Revlon products more lately but Golden Bronze feels like a miss to me. I like the texture of it and I think the color is not bad but the overly light application makes it kind of pointless unless you want to spend more time in front of the mirror every morning. Darker skin tones won't even see it. If you're super light, maybe it's worth a look. But if you want a truly golden bronze, this isn't the best way to go.




UPDATE 8/14/11: This item has been marked down further and is now $3.08 at certain Target stores.

No comments:

Post a Comment