Friday, August 19, 2011

Peach and Gold with MAC (swatches and mini-review)

And now back to your regular scheduled programming...

Last Friday I promised that I would post the swatches of the MAC products that I purchased after a quick eye makeover at the MAC studio in KOP. I had requested for a set of eyeshadows with a peach theme and a gold-toned base. I told the associate what MAC shadows I owned and we quickly picked out a set that would work nicely for a monochrome peach/gold daytime look.


Custom Palette on left. Top: Shroom, Mulch. Bottom: All That Glitters, Arena. Indianwood Paint Pot on right.

The powder shadows we picked were the satin Arena (a soft gold-peach with pearl), the veluxe pearl All That Glitters (a beige with gold pearl), the velvet Mulch (a red-brown with bronze pearl) and for the base, we went with the Indianwood Paint Pot which is a metallic antique bronze with a frost finish.


Arena

All That Glitters

Mulch

Indianwood Paint Pot

For the look, she used the ever-popular Shroom (satin finish soft beige with shimmer) as an all-over lid wash. She applied the Indianwood Paint Pot with a fluffy brush, lightly swirling it around the lid. All That Glitters went on the lower lid and Arena on the crease. Then she contoured the look with Mulch on the outer corner, blending upwards and into the crease. I already had eyeliner and mascara on so there was no need for her to redo that part.

Everything was applied in such moderation that the effect was not so dramatic or shimmery, which is exactly what I want for daytime. In photographs, I look like I'm barely wearing any eye makeup, but the eyes look defined in the most subtle way.


Swatches from left: Shroom, Indianwood, All That Glitters, Arena, Mulch

The colors we picked were popular shades (descriptions above were from the MAC website) and the way they go together is unquestionable seeing as they're pretty much in the same color family. The look is pretty foolproof and although on the warm side, I imagine that it can be worn across a variety of skintones. The times I've replicated the look at home though, I've found a couple of tweaks that work better for me. For one, All That Glitters is pretty shimmery and I think I like it better just at the inner corners of the eye, or only as far as the inner half and not over the entire lower lid. I've found that Shroom, having something of a shimmer as well, can be replaced with a somewhat matte beige (like Burberry Trench, MAC Brule or Wet N Wild Brulee) and can be applied last instead of first, blending down to the browbone to soften the color there. Mulch can be replaced with any matte brown, applied lightly and blended well.

This is actually my first foray into Paint Pot world and I like it so far. I generally use Laura Mercier Metallic Creme Eye Colour when I want to start off with a colored cream base but Laura Mercier's Gold is taupey. I like taupey but in the spirit of non-duplication, I decided to go with the bronzier Indianwood Paint Pot. The texture of this Paint Pot is a bit harder. You can tell just by looking in the pot. It's less creamy than most cream eyeshadows I've used. When you pick up the product, you're swirling your brush on a fairly solid area. To an extent, I think it's actually easier to use. If they had more colors in a cream finish, as opposed to metallic or frost, I would be grabbing a lot more of these.




As for the eyeshadows, the colors I got seem to be of typical MAC quality. The pigmentation is nice. They're highly blendable and they last all day without fading or creasing on me. Overall, at $11.50 for each refill pan (I use customizable palettes and only buy refills), it's a really good brand to start with if you are upgrading from drugstore to department store brands. If you like peach and gold, these colors, I highly recommend.

On a side note, I found myself at a MAC counter last night, helping a friend pick out some new eyeshadow for a wedding event this weekend. Oh let me tell you, not all MAC counters are the same. This was a complete 180 from the experience I had at the MAC studio. The associate on duty at this store insisted her "makeup artist" opinion on my friend. She would often start her sentences with "as a makeup artist... " and preface a lot of color presentations with, "I find that my clients like... " but she wasn't getting what my friend wanted because she simply wasn't listening. I attempted to make one very humble suggestion, which was rudely brushed aside by the "makeup artist" as something that she doesn't like to use so I just left the two of them to figure out what to do. Guess what? My friend ended up leaving her chair without a single item and proceeded to purchase the color I suggested (and more) with another brand.

For me, the takeaway here is that if the associate/artist isn't listening to you, you're probably not going to get something that you like. And you know what? If you don't like it, you shouldn't buy it.

No comments:

Post a Comment