Monday, August 15, 2011

JK Jemma Kidd I-Design Eye Colour in Must Have

Our quick Target trip over the weekend yielded very little by way of deals. I saw the Revlon ColorStay Mineral Bronzer in Golden Bronze marked down by another $3. Most of the JK Jemma Kidd eyeshadows were taken but I did find a pan of Must Have that was in good condition so I decided to just get it.




I had previously swatched all of the brand's eyeshadows in the store and decided that the previously featured Backstage and Vanity Fair were the best of the marked down bunch. But I was craving a dark blue for my collection and hoped that I would be able to find a way to get Must Have to translate on the eyes as it looks in the pan.

Must Have swatches more of a midnight blue shade but in the pan looks just a little bit lighter and brighter than that. I see a little glimmer here and there but it looks matte when you put it on. I experimented with a few layers to see if I could get the color to pop and tried it with the NARS Smudge Proof Eyeshadow Base and noticed a kind of light iridescence to the shade. The color also turned out more blue and applied more evenly. On a whim, I picked up a NYX Jumbo Eye Pencil in the color Slate and layered Must Have on top of it. Now, that's the color I was looking for. I think it would make a nice accent liner in the fall.


From left: NARS primer as base, NYX Slate as base, Must Have with no base

I did note texture differences between Must Have and the previous two that I bought, Backstage and Vanity Fair. I've been using Vanity Fair a good bit and am happy with the way it applies on the lid. It even layers nicely with other eyeshadows and I'm glad I stumbled on it. Must Have was different. In my search for an answer to why it was different, I noticed something on the back of the case. See if you can spot the difference between Must Have and the two eyeshadows in the first picture. Click the pictures for a bigger view if you have to.





Got it? Made in China. Although I sometimes feel like slapped on labels aren't always believable, I have this feeling Must Have was different because the product itself wasn't made in the same place that Backstage and Vanity Fair were. It doesn't apply as smoothly, isn't as well-pigmented without a base, and just has a different feel to it overall. I'm not bound to apply a blue eyeshadow allover my lid and would likely only use this as an accent but I wish I'd paid more attention to the words on the package. I recommend picking up Vanity Fair in particular and I'm not decided on my recommendation for Backstage but I think you could skip Must Have. I'd use it but really, it's not a must-have.

No comments:

Post a Comment