Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Smashbox Photo Finish Light Foundation Primer

I had just about finished up my 8.5ml sample of the Smashbox Photo Finish Light Foundation Primer and am here to report the results. The mostly odorless, colorless primer is oil-free and very smooth. I appreciate that it's lighter on the skin than the original Photo Finish Primer and doesn't leave a heavy kind of slimy feeling.


Photo Finish Light is a water-based primer. You put it on after moisturizer and sunscreen and it helps fill in fine lines on the face as it keeps your foundation fresh. When I wear a full face of makeup, I try to give at least 5 minutes for each layer of product to sink in. This means a serum, moisturizer, sunscreen, primer and then foundation all done in 5 minute intervals (a multi-tasking product or two helps me avoid too many layers). Of course, it takes me about an hour to get ready but a number of times I've found it useful to complete my eye makeup before I get to the foundation so I can clean up any fallout before I put foundation on. Photo Finish Light sinks in rather easily even if I don't wait the full five minutes. All I ever use is a pea-sized drop.




I find Photo Finish Light to be an effective primer on warm days and I get the sense that my foundation is easier to apply when I use it. I've had no adverse reactions to it and I think it's an excellent summer primer on my normal to dry/combination skin.

2 comments:

  1. I just bought the Laura Mercier Oil-Free Foundation Primer a few days ago. I noticed that after putting it on, it sort of accentuated the dry patched I have on my cheeks. Will this Smashbox one work better?

    Thanks for this review, by the way! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi! Personally, I'm not a fan of the LM Oil-Free Primer. I like the Hydrating one better. I have generally dry cheeks and I didn't have any problems with the Smashbox Photo Finish Light. I can't say for sure if it will be the same for you. The other primer you can try is the MUFE primer I have reviewed at http://pondering-beauty.blogspot.com/2011/05/make-up-for-ever-hd-microperfecting.html

    ReplyDelete