Monday, July 18, 2011

Mascara Quicknotes II: A few other formulas I've tried lately

Lancome Hypnose Drama Instant Full Body Volume Mascara in Excessive Black/Noir




The promise: volume, intense color, easy build, no clumping or flaking

In a nutshell: intense color, volumizing, hard to control, tendency to clump badly




The S-shaped brush is supposed to give a fanned out effect (and a nice curl) but beyond the heavy dose of color and the clumping, I'm just not seeing it. Applied with a different brush (MAC 205 Pro Mascara Fan Brush), I appreciate the blackness of it but the formula is still a bit hard to control. I'm one to apply mascara heavily. With this, you have to stop at one swipe, which isn't enough volume for me. True, it doesn't flake off and while the version I tried isn't waterproof, it lasts a little longer than my other mascaras. I'm used to doing multiple swipes to cover all areas though and this baby clumps on me.


Lancome Cils Booster XL Enhancing Mascara Base




The promise: extra length and volume, no clumping, conditions, overall improvement of your favorite mascara

In a nutshell: some length, definite volume, clumping, overall improvement in wear time




I'd been using this one for years before I decided to try a bunch of other mascara bases. While not perfect, this is probably still the best one for me in that whenever I wear it, I don't get raccoon eyes, ever. It just seems to keep the mascara on, even if the formula isn't waterproof. I've found that it's best to apply one quick swipe of it and immediately follow with black mascara. If you allow it to dry between coats, you're going to get clumps. This dries a funny white color though so you must make sure you've completely covered it up. I find that I sometimes have to go back in with my black mascara (after a good 5 or so minutes of having it on) just to cover those spots. They also need to improve the tube design to something that will wipe off excess as you take the brush out. Sample sizes are nice because there's not so much in the tube but whenever I open up a full-sized tube, I always get way too much product on the brush. I end up wasting half the product when I try to wipe it off. In this regard, I like Shiseido's Mascara Base better but performance-wise, Lancome remains the one to beat.

No comments:

Post a Comment