Thursday, July 7, 2011

Guerlain Rouge Automatique in Bal De Mai

This reminds me of the nineties. I had a Bonne Bell lipstick that had a similar slide mechanism. It wasn't nearly as sophisticated-looking as Guerlain's Rouge Automatique but the concept was the same. You slide a button and the lipstick comes up. Bonne Bell's cap just opened up and Guerlain's retracts into the tube. But I can't get over the similarity. It brings back memories.


Guerlain Rouge Automatique Lipstick

Bal De Mai 160, described as a dusty rose with gold shimmer, comes off on me as a lovely semi-opaque dark coral with a pink-red base. I think it's the gold shimmer that makes it reflect light and look coral. If applied heavily, it readily leans red. If applied lightly, it's a flattering pink coral. I have a hard time coming to grips with a proper description because every time I wear it, I feel like it looks different. Colors interact not only with your natural lip color and the available lighting but this one even morphs with the texture of my lips that day. I wore it with a bright coral (peach) shrug and it looked like a pink-coral. I wore it at night with a teal sweater and it looked almost dark red with golden shimmer. But one thing I will say, this is a versatile color and will look lovely on a large variety of skin tones.


Guerlain Rouge Automatique in Bal De Mai ($35)
Guerlain Rouge Automatique in Bal De Mai

I love the texture of the lipstick. It applies very smoothly, is utterly creamy and I do not find it drying. Compared to the Rouge G lipsticks I've tried, the color seems less saturated but it's just as comfortable. Given the current $12 price difference, I'd urge you to grab a Rouge Automatique over a Rouge G. The difference in the formula is so miniscule that if you're just after some quality lip color and aren't in love with the Rouge G jewelcase, the Rouge Automatique line will surely satisfy.


Guerlain Rouge Automatique in Bal De Mai

Personally, I have an issue with the packaging. It's light, plasticky and almost cheap-looking. But I got over that. What I can't seem to get over is the slide mechanism. Mine doesn't have a problem. You pull it down and it glides smoothly. But how many times have I accidentally opened this upside down? Too many to count. I have to watch myself really. It's bad enough that I get lipstick on my hands from opening it upside down but if I do it enough times, I'm bound to break the lipstick. I think the problem is that my finger is thinking I have to push up to get the lipstick to come up, when the reverse is true. You slide it down so that the lipstick will come up. My sometimes sleepy brain finds it confusing.




So the verdict. Love the texture, like the color, impressed with longevity. Very unhappy with the packaging. I fear wasting my money if I accidentally break the lipstick so I'm not looking to purchase another color. But I really do like this lipstick. If you like this packaging, go for it.

1 comment:

  1. I got it yesterday. The same story with me..... love lipstick, hate packaging.

    ReplyDelete