Friday, July 22, 2011

Bath and Body Works Sun Ripened Raspberry Body Splash

Very rarely do I write something very personal on my blog. But I recently had a request to pick up a couple of bottles of Bath and Body Works Sun-Ripened Raspberry Body Splash as someone dear to me loves this. I hadn't walked into a Bath and Body Works store in years so I was terribly surprised to find a lot of the staples from my last visit had been discontinued. Thankfully, they still had them online and on sale for $6.

Now, this post isn't going to be a review but more a tribute. I'm not a big fragrance person and Body Splashes are not my thing. I've bought perfume for myself maybe twice in my life but I always have a steady supply that come as gifts. My favorite scents are Gucci Envy Me and the hard to find Madame Rochas. Me liking those though, has a lot more to do with history, my history, than the way the product actually smells. Right now, I'm digging Chanel No. 5 Eau Premiere. But my dad? Yes, my dad. He loves...


Bath and Body Works Sun-Ripened Raspberry

My dad, now almost 75, is the original metrosexual. He's a hunk of man, 6 feet tall with curly brown hair, and a well-worked out somewhat lean physique. He wore crisp shirts with perfectly straight collars (that are arranged by color in his closet and on hangers separated exactly 2 inches apart) and carried a Dooney bag - a small black leather man bag that he slung over one shoulder to carry his man things. I remember growing up with him and his bottles of Oil of Olay, you know the original pink ones from the 80s? He would slather them on after shower along with a quick pat of Afta after shave.

Economics has a way of changing things, of course. He now uses a store brand substitute of his favorite Olay moisturizer, the one with SPF. Afta remains a staple, right until they discontinue it, I'm sure. But here's the story of Sun-Ripened Raspberry.

I'm fairly certain it was in the 90's when this started. At the latest, maybe 1998. I had brought home a whole stash of items from Bath and Body Works since you know how they go on sale. I got bottles of Body Splashes in different popular scents, Country Apple, Juniper Breeze and of course, Sun-Ripened Raspberry. The big surprise to me was that my dad opened up one of the bottles and started using Sun-Ripened Raspberry. It wasn't a shocker that he took interest in a body splash but I would've thought Juniper Breeze would be more his speed. But he says Sun-Ripened Raspberry smells like candy. Apparently, that's his gig. I'm sure people around compounded this by complimenting him on it. A friend of mine who had met my dad when he had a brief stint as a consultant at my friend's place of work had told me once that women at the office swooned when my dad (then in his 60s) would pass by. And they always remarked about how good he smelled. Ah, Sun-Ripened Raspberry. Who knew?

No comments:

Post a Comment