Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Guerlain Ombre Fusion Cream Eyeshadow in Havana

I was so excited when Guerlain came out with this new cream eyeshadow in a tube. I had been using my Chanel Fluid Iridescent Eyeshadows since the weather warmed up and I thought that this product would be a good alternate. For my test run, I purchased Havana.


Guerlain Ombre Fusion Cream Eyeshadow in Havana

Havana, in the tube, looks like it would be some form of green bronze with multi-colored glimmering flecks. It's housed in a tube very similar to the tubes of KissKiss Gloss. They made the container heavily frosted which makes it more difficult to tell what the color of the eyeshadow truly is but I suppose that helps differentiate it from the glosses.


Doe foot applicator

Opening the tube, you will find the doe foot applicator, which I'm sure reminds a lot of people of the Chanel Fluid Iridescent Eyeshadows. In reality, the similarity ends there. Guerlain's product is a cream shadow and it applies like a runnier version of potted cream shadows that you may have used from brands like Bobbi Brown. If anything, I find it more similar to Laura Mercier's Metallic Creme Eye Colour which is sold in a tube like oil paint.


Heavy Swatch of Havana
Light Swatch of Havana

As far as the color goes, the Guerlain Ombre Fusion Cream Eyeshadow in Havana is not similar to any other cream eyeshadow I have. In swatches, it looks like a blob of dark green but if you look more closely, you'll find the multi-colored shimmer and the iridescent quality which makes this a lot more interesting than your average cream eyeshadow. I don't know how most people would imagine using this but I like to keep dark colors on the lower part of the lid, just up to the crease and this ends up mostly as that surprise color that you see if I blink or look down.


Havana

I apply it on my lid using the doe foot applicator and then blend it out in a slight patting motion using a cream eyeshadow brush (Bobbi Brown and Laura Mercier make good ones). Alternately, I've found any synthetic brush meant for creams (like a concealer brush) can be used with this product. I sometimes use a Chanel concealer brush, shaped much like the cream eyeshadow brushes I'm used to, to apply cream eye products and it works fine. For this product however, you'll want to use a light hand to spread out the color and give it a minute to set. It does not set nearly as quick as the Chanel Fluid Iridescent Eyeshadows so it allows you time to blend. But there's a learning curve as far as blending this out goes and I prefer a more opaque layer of color so I tend to layer it on rather thickly. I like to layer with powder shadow as well and for my first use, I tried out the look below.




For layering, I found a YSL duo that has a green bronze shade very similar to the Guerlain Ombre Fusion Cream Eyeshadow in Havana. This is the YSL Ombres Duolumieres Eyeshadow Duo #27 - Golden Pink and Precious Bronze.




YSL Eyeshadow Duo #27

This eyeshadow duo is very sheer. The Precious Bronze side has an olive tone and the Golden Pink side has a golden sheen. Since this isn't a review for the YSL duo, I'll leave it at that and show you the swatches below so you can imagine how I put the eye look above together. If I had more time, I would add a third shade on the crease and slightly above it to give it a little more depth. But I wanted to show off Havana a little better so I left it at that.


YSL Eyeshadow Duo #27 Swatches

I'm happy to add an iridescent green bronze cream eyeshadow to my collection but I'm not sure that I'm impressed by the formula of the Guerlain Ombre Fusion Cream Eyeshadow. It's just not that easy to use and takes me time to blend out. Using a proper brush, it comes out alright but it doesn't lend itself well to blending out with fingers. I'm keeping Havana because I find it to be a rather unique color that I have use for but I'd like to see them come out with lighter shades like gold and peach (not pink) in the future.


No comments:

Post a Comment