Saturday, June 25, 2011

Chanel Illusion D'Ombre Long Wear Luminous Eyeshadow in Mirifique



As part two of my Chanel fall preview, let me show you the new cream eyeshadow that I got. This shade is called Mirifique and it's a very sparkly, glittery black.


Chanel Illusion D'Ombre in Mirifique

Opening the jar for the first time, I was completely surprised by the way the product looked and felt. This isn't your everyday flat black but black amped up with silvery glitter that reflected a rainbow of color in the light. It was springy to the touch and you had the sense that there was a lot of air in between the particles. But it's a full jar and scraping through the top layer, I found that it wasn't really hollow on the inside. Somewhere between a mousse and gel but different. Just completely different.




Learning to use the product took awhile for me. I had ordered it online and was left to my own resources to figure out how to use it. The box offered a little instruction in the form of the pictures below. Make use of the accompanying brush and apply the product as shown.




The brush proved useful as a liner brush but didn't give me the control I wanted to use the product as a cream shadow. Picking up a trusted cream shadow brush (I use Laura Mercier's), I was able to pick up just the right amount of product to produce thinner layers on the lid.


Accompanying Brush


Swatched using the cream shadow brush, this is what Mirifique looks like. You could also use Chanel's #1 shadow/concealer brush to achieve this effect. The swatch below was taken in morning sun, which allows you to best appreciate the sparkle effect on Mirifique.




The reason I went with Mirifique for my trial run with the Illusion D'Ombre Longwear Luminous Eyeshadows was because I wanted something that would work as a bottom layer of black eyeshadow (like a cream base) for smoky looks and something that would work nicely as an everyday eyeliner. The Chanel Long-Lasting Eyeliner in Black Shimmer is one of my favorites and I set about comparing the two, to see if I could use one in place of the other.


Left: Black Shimmer Eyeliner, Right: Mirifique

If you compare the swatches, you'll note how much bigger the glitter pieces in Mirifique are. However, applied as mostly a thin line above the lashes, they work to the same effect, with Mirifique glitter just a smidge more noticeable.

I have to applaud the staying power of Mirifique as a liner. Application is easy and I get just the right intensity for my line. Even the enclosed brush does the job. My only issue with using it as a liner is that I'm afraid to use it right on the lashline. I'm afraid the glitter pieces will fall into my eye and cause irritation. (UPDATE: See my post Rethinking Mirifique to find out what happens when you use this on the lashline.) Used as a shadow, I didn't get any irritation from the fallout but going so close into the eye, I just wasn't going to risk it.

Cleanup requires a waterproof eye makeup remover and you must make sure to go over it enough to grab all the little glitter bits that could get left behind. With more success as a liner than a shadow, I recommend Mirifique with reservations. This is something you'll need to play around with and learn to use in a way that best suits you. See it at a Chanel counter and ask a Chanel associate to give you some tips on how best to apply the product. You may yet prefer other colors that are easier to use as an eyeshadow for everyday.

UPDATE 7/10/2011: Having finally had a chance to visit the Chanel counter and play around with the various shades of the Illusion D'Ombre Long Wear Luminous Eyeshadows, I'm on the fence about whether or not I should pick up more colors. I had an associate put a few colors on my lids and I walked around in them all day. She used Emerveille as a lid wash and I asked her to work in Ebloui on the crease. Then we ended with Illusoire as a liner. Emerveille doesn't intensify like I'd hoped. I was hoping it would come out peachier but if you pile on more product, you don't get more peach. It simply becomes more shimmery. Illusoire and Ebloui were lovely though. I'm not too sure how much use I'll get out of them simply because I have similar colors in my cream shadow collection but I'm considering.

No comments:

Post a Comment