Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Guerlain Terracotta Bronzing Powder 01

Bronzer is a bit like foundation, in my opinion. Some people like it heavy, some want it light. Some put it all over their face and others in just a few select spots. I've tried a lot of bronzers in my lifetime. I go through a slew of new ones every year. This year, I finally went for the splurge and I think I've hit the jackpot.

Guerlain Terracotta Bronzing Powder 01

To me, a good bronzer needs to have just the right color. I'm not the fairest of the fair but I don't tan so a barely there bronze is the most believable look for me. I prefer something golden with buildable color, not pigment-heavy from the first stroke. Guerlain's Terracotta Bronzing Powder fits all of the above criteria. I tried shades 00 to 03 and decided that I preferred the more golden finish of 01 over the pinkish tone of 00 but I also did not want to go any darker than 01.




Guerlain has a shade finder to help you figure out what bronzer shade works best with your hair and skin color in what season. The shade finder actually said 01 was my winter color and 03 is my summer color. As I've mentioned, I don't tan. So for me, 01 is the perfect year-round color.

I apply bronzer with a few different brushes: a big bronzer brush from EcoToolsa powder brush from Chanel, and a dense kabuki-style finishing brush from Hourglass. All work well with this bronzer. I've also used this bronzer with some mediocre bronzer/powder brushes and it still came out looking nice. The thing that I love about it is that I can layer it on and I'm not afraid that I'm overdoing it. It's much easier to add color rather than to subtract. With Guerlain, I've learned not to be afraid that I'll overdo it because it doesn't seem possible. I start at the hairline, above the forehead and sweep down in a 3 through the cheekbone or the hollow of the cheek (depending on the effect I want) and down across the jaw to the chin. I can safely repeat this about 3 to 4 times, each time dabbing the brush on to the powder to get more pigment. I brush excess pigment on to the forehead and the nose and it's just perfect.




I've seen the Terracotta line in the past and I wasn't convinced that this was going to be the bronzer for me. But the colors have changed. The old 01 is actually much darker and more orange than the new 01 and to me, they've done some really nice improvements to the color selections. The compact is pretty (and they also changed it a little bit, see photo above for new compact) and the powder is scented but I find it rather pleasant. The texture is impressive. It's easy to layer it because it applies very evenly and smoothly.

Hands down, this is the best bronzing powder I've ever tried. Do I think the $49 price tag is justified? Probably not. But as I haven't encountered anything cheaper that does the job this well, I would buy this again.

No comments:

Post a Comment