Friday, April 22, 2011

Soleil Tan De Chanel Moisturizing Bronzing Powder in Bronze Rose

For summer 2011, the Collection Les Fleurs D'Ete de Chanel features two new bronzers and after a little bit of deliberation and help from a Chanel associate, I decided to go with Bronze Rose.


Soleil Tan De Chanel Moisturizing Bronzing Powder in Bronze Rose

I had tried on both Bronze Rose and Bronze Corail. I think that with my complexion, I could get a fair bit of use out of both so I sought the opinion of the Chanel associate who put it this way. Base it on the lipsticks you like to wear in general. If you wear a lot of pinks and the occasional red, go with Bronze Rose. If you like golds and beiges, go with Bronze Corail. I told him what Rouge Coco Shine lipsticks I had and he laughed, saying, so you pretty much wear whatever you want. With that, he suggested that I pick up Bronze Rose.


Bronze Rose

The bronzer comes in a large compact with a brush. It's encased in the traditional black Chanel velvet pouch.




I like how big and beautiful the compact is. I appreciate the large mirror and the somewhat useable brush. If you want to dip into each color individually, the brush will do it perfectly. I tend to just swirl a large brush over the entire thing. But the Chanel associate showed me a way to apply the product nicely. He favored an angled brush and demonstrated with Chanel's #10 contour face brush which is an angled blush brush.



Bronze Rose

He said to start from the pink part, and slide across the shades with one stroke. Then pat it on the cheek, in the areas where you want to concentrate the pink shade, in my case, close to the apple of the cheek and moving in an outward motion. Then, without re-dipping into the pan, sweep the remaining pigment through the area again. You can repeat the process if you want a stronger color but I've found that one swipe of this is plenty on my fair skin.

In the picture below, I used a Sephora platinum blush brush #49 and I put the brush where he said to start. I think that the method works well if you intend to use this bronzer more as a blush. For bronzing powders, I've been taught to sweep the brush across my face in mirroring threes on each side. With this compact, I attempted to do that but without using the pink strip. Alternately, the pink can be used on lids for a complementing eye color.





My thoughts on the formula: simply that it's decently-pigmented and smooth. I wouldn't say it's powdery but the compact does messy up a bit more than I'd like whenever I use it. As a bronzer, I think I like my Guerlain Terracotta bronzer better, just because I feel more confident about using it all over my face for a softly-tanned glow. The non-pink parts of Chanel's Bronze Rose look a little more brown and less flattering on me. However, as a whole, I think Bronze Rose makes a great blush and it lasts the whole day. I'd say big plus for the packaging being sturdy and pretty, and for having a brush. So purse-friendly.




If you're buying this at a counter, make sure that the associate knows that what you want is the limited edition bronzer in Bronze Rose. It comes in the rectangular box pictured above. Inasmuch as I trust the Chanel associate that regularly assists me, I initially attempted to buy this somewhere else and was mistakenly sold the Joues Contraste in Rose Bronze. My bad for not checking the package before I left the store.

Overall, I'm reasonably happy with the new bronzer although I don't consider it a must-have. I just like the large mirror in the compact and the fact that it has a brush in it so I tote this around with me. However, if you're investing in only one high end blush/bronzer formula this season, try this before you buy, to see if you like it. People have different requirements for their bronzers. With my preference for sheerer formulas that show a mostly subtle golden tan, Guerlain's Terracotta Bronzing Powder in 01 seems to work better for me. For the faintly golden pink glow which I think Chanel is going for with Bronze Rose, the Guerlain Terracotta Light Sheer Bronzing Powder (in Blonde) remains my top choice.

No comments:

Post a Comment