Monday, April 18, 2011

Chanel Vitalumière Aqua Ultra-Light Skin Perfecting Makeup SPF 15

That's quite a name for a foundation product, isn't it? A name we need to dissect as we talk about the latest foundation offering from the house of Chanel.


Chanel Vitalumiere Aqua Ultra-Light Skin Perfecting Makeup SPF 15

Chanel has come up with a lightweight water-based foundation that feels like nothing on the skin and yet covers imperfections rather well. Ultra-light? Check. Skin perfecting? Check. SPF? Check. Honestly, I cannot come up with a single bad thing to say about this foundation. It was definitely worth the wait.




It comes in 10 shades, five of which are beige-toned and the other five are pink-toned. The Chanel associate initially recommended the pink-toned BR20 for me. But I later came back and asked to try B20 and ended up purchasing that shade. The point of contention was the undertone. I have both yellow and pink, which means I could wear either one and get away with it. However, I was more comfortable balancing out the redness in my cheeks with a non-pink foundation and felt that B20 just looked better.


Swatches before blending from left: B20 Beige-Tendre, BR20 Beige Rose-Tendre

A key point to remember is that the bottle needs to be shaken very well before use as the product does tend to separate. It's a plastic bottle, which is rather a departure for the brand but probably helped keep the price a little bit lower than usual. To be fair, I love the shape of the bottle. I love shaking it. And I love not having to worry about dropping it. It will not break. It does not have a pump. Instead, you squeeze the product out of the bottle. I think you get better control over how much comes out. True, you can't see how much is left in the bottle but I think you'll figure that out as you shake and squeeze. It's a design that I greatly appreciate.


Chanel Vitalumiere Aqua Ultra-Light Skin Perfecting Makeup SPF 15

Application is simple. The directions on the bottle actually say you can use your fingers to put it on (see clickable picture above for usage directions). I prefer using a brush. It spreads easily and sinks in well. I don't get strange patches of unevenness. It just blends right in. You could layer on a little bit more for additional coverage but I find that I don't need much when I use this. It is just perfect.

The foundation is scented, like pretty much all Chanel products. But I think that the odor is pleasant. Plus it feels so light on the skin. This has given my Tinted Moisturizer some competition. I've found myself reaching for this more these days. The true test comes when the weather really heats up. We'll see then how long it will last. But so far, it's lasted me whole days with nary a touch up (it doesn't make my face grease up). If anything, I think it looks even better as the day progresses. Now that's something I'm willing to pay good money for.

No comments:

Post a Comment