Friday, April 1, 2011

Chanel Ombre D'Eau Fluid Iridescent Eyeshadow

Chanel Ombre D'Eau Fluid Iridescent Eyeshadow

I got a couple of these fluid eyeshadows last month. I went to the Chanel counter one night and just tried on a bunch of these and was surprised at how easy it was to use them. Trying to keep with safe colors, I initially reserved Sand and then later added Delta. I was not disappointed.



I had seen a few YouTube videos where people used Chanel products exclusively. One such video featured a woman who talked a lot about these fluid eyeshadows and in her demonstration, she didn't use any brushes at all to apply it. I thought that might come in handy if I have to travel light or I'm in a hurry. I'm normally averse to using my hands to apply makeup, mostly because I'm wary of dipping my fingers into the product. But in this case, one can use the doe foot applicator to get the product on the lid and use the fingers for blending. Let's give it a shot!


Swatches from left: Delta, Sand

Swatches without flash from left: Delta, Sand

I'm pleasantly surprised by how well these respond to a light tapping motion all over the lid. You shake the bottle well to mix up the liquid with the pigment and then swipe on a small amount of the fluid eyeshadow. I tend to tap it all around the area I want color on. It's dry within seconds so you need to get it all over the area as quickly as you can. You can do a second or third coat if you really want the color to intensify. For my general purposes, one pass of each color does the trick. The eye area is instantly brightened and it doesn't fade at all during the day. The stuff doesn't move. It's awesome!

I've also tried using a cream eyeshadow brush with these. It works ok but I prefer using the fingers to blend it. I feel that there's less pulling on the skin if I'm tapping it on to blend it out rather than sweeping a brush over it. The Chanel associate said you could also use the #11 Quick Shadow Brush. If you want a more refined, deliberate stroke of color, then the brush is probably the way to go. But I'm still going with my fingers :)


No. 60 Sand, No. 90 Delta

I picked a light gold and a taupe brown shade for maximum versatility. Used individually, I like the look of Delta with some black eyeliner and I like Sand with brown eyeliner. Together, I've used Delta as the allover wash or the inner lid color and then Sand on the outer corner and/or crease. It's quick, it's easy and I think it will stand up to heat and humidity. No need for primer!


Chanel Ombre D'Eau in Sand and Delta ($32)

For summer, I plan to concentrate the look on the complexion (bronzed and glowy) so a simple, neutral eye and lip will work nicely with that. I'd like to see how long one tube will last and if they will come out with more colors. I like them a lot and wish that I'd discovered them sooner. While not cheap, I know I'm going to get a lot of mileage out of these during the spring and summer so that justifies the splurge :)

No comments:

Post a Comment