Thursday, February 17, 2011

Urban Decay Eyeshadow in Vert and Midnight Cowboy

Don't we all love a bargain? If you consider getting two Urban Decay eyeshadow singles for $10 a bargain, here's what that got me.





I had one of those 20% off anything coupons over the holidays so I actually paid less than $10 for this. There weren't a lot of shade choices so I went with what I thought might be most useful to me: an iridescent green called Vert and a champagne pink with glitter called Midnight Cowboy. I've heard all the complaints about Midnight Cowboy and I can see why this duo will not appeal to those who have Urban Decay palettes. A lot of their palettes have this shade. But the only Urban Decay eye shadows I own would be the Naked Palette, and Midnight Cowboy is not in it.



Urban Decay Eyeshadow in Midnight Cowboy


Urban Decay Eyeshadow in Midnight Cowboy (Left with primer, right no primer)



Urban Decay Eyeshadow in Vert



Urban Decay Eyeshadow in Vert (left with primer, right no primer)

Here's the good. At $10, two singles is a steal. They're full-sized singles. Each one normally costs $17. Even if there was only one useable color, it's still cheaper than buying one full-sized shadow. And Vert proved just lovely. I would use it more as an accent color than all over my entire lid because it's green. It attracts enough attention just lined around the eyes but it doesn't scream at you. It's decently pigmented and can be built up to a reasonable opacity. I like it because it's more vibrant than the other green eyeshadows that I have. I have greens that run the gamut from khaki and olive to an almost neon yellow-green. This borders yellow-green in some lighting but for the most part it comes out as jewel-toned. Layered with a deeper green cream or black kohl pencil, it makes me feel like I'm wearing emeralds... on my eyes. The iridescence gives it a multi-dimensional effect and it applies quite smoothly. Of course, if you're not the type to use green eyeshadow, there is no point in looking this up.

Here's the bad. Midnight Cowboy. 'Nuff said. Why oh why does Urban Decay insist that this is some sort of best-selling shade? True, the color is pretty. When swatched, the pigment was really good. A kind of champagne shell, kind of pink, very sweet, until you get a load of the giant chunks of glitter that create massive fallout, no matter what you do. I've tried the patting motion, the sticky eyeshadow base, the sponge applicator, my fingers... the glitter is really irritating, literally. Contact lens wearers steer clear! Why couldn't Urban Decay just skip the glitter? Because truthfully, I think this is a pretty color that I may reach for quite often. But if I have to deal with the fallout and I have to worry that the glitters will get into my eye, it's just not worth it.

So as a two-fer, I think of it as buying Vert and an opportunity to sample Midnight Cowboy. I will continue trying to work with it, on days when I have the time and patience to clean up the fallout, but right now, I only like Vert. Ulta sold one or two other combos like this. If they still have it in the store, you might have better luck with the other colors.

No comments:

Post a Comment