Thursday, February 10, 2011

Shiseido Nourishing Mascara Base


My first experience with a mascara base was with Lancome's Cils Booster XL. I was really pleased with the results, a boost in length and volume, and most of all, it made my mascara last all day, even in humid weather. But it wasn't a perfect product. I disliked the brush and I felt that it sometimes left my lashes brittle. Also, that product dries white. I was hoping for something that dries clear.

I tried substituting clear mascara for the mascara base but I don't think that the Maybelline Great Lash clear mascara that I picked worked out. It was actually worse. So I bought two other brands, Shiseido and Chanel (quick review here). Now I'm hooked on Shiseido's Nourishing Mascara Base.


Shiseido Nourishing Mascara Base ($23)


I appreciated that the brush was smaller than Lancome's and the bristles were shorter and more tighly packed. I found that it was a lot easier for me to use.


Shiseido Nourishing Mascara Base Brush

The liquid is clear and you don't really see it once applied. It's kind of hard to figure out how much you've actually put on and if you've covered every lash. However, I don't think you need much to get the desired effect so I try to swipe it once over every area and then I immediately follow it with mascara. I've noticed that if I put it on and let it dry, or if I take a long time before I put on the mascara, it does tend to get more clumpy and the lashes become hard, so they don't move with the wand's bristles. If done right, the lashes seem more receptive to the mascara. The principle here is that the base gives mascara something to adhere to, so you can coat each lash better. This in turn means the mascara lasts longer.

I truly believe that the mascara base works. I find that I rarely put on mascara without it. The times that I do, I get the mascara gathered up underneath my eyes in 4 hours or less. If I put it on, pretty much any mascara I use lasts all day. I think that I definitely like this better than Lancome but I have yet to see how Chanel's performs. Once I have used it enough, I'll be sure to post the review. For now, if you have sparse, short lashes or have problems with the longevity of your favorite mascara, try a base. For me, it works.

2 comments:

  1. Do you use an eyelash curler,then base,then mascara or can you skip the curler when using the base?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I always use an eyelash curler before I put anything on the lashes. But that's because my lashes are straight. You could skip the lash curler if you like the way your lashes look without curling. The base does not offer any curling benefits. Some mascaras presumably do that but the base does not. So for me, it's lash curler, base then mascara.

    ReplyDelete