Friday, February 4, 2011

Revlon Sophisticated Greys Eye Collection

I previously reviewed the Classic Nudes Eye Collection from Revlon. It included a quad and an eyeliner designed to deliver a nude look. While they were half-off, I decided to get the Sophisticated Greys Eye Collection as well.

Revlon Sophisticated Greys Eye Collection

Sophisticated Greys includes the Revlon ColorStay 12 Hour Eye Shadow quad in Sterling Rose and the ColorStay Eyeliner in Black.

Revlon Eye Shadow Quad in Sterling Rose

I'd been using the quad for awhile before I took this picture but you can see the colors. You have a shimmery champagne lavender color, a shimmery light pink, a satiny grey and a very dark charcoal. The eyeliner is a good quality black pencil and I have that review here.


Sterling Rose quad swatches

Compared to the In The Buff quad, this shows up a little better when applied, even when it's not layered with cream shadows. I still recommend using an eyeshadow base though, to make the colors pop a little more.

I can't complain too much about the way it applies. The shadows are smooth and seem of decent quality. It's a little powdery, just like the other quad. If anything, it seems a little better. But I find that there's a good amount of frost in the light shades. That bothers me a little bit. I feel like Revlon could have mixed in another matte shade or made one of the light colors less shimmery. To a certain extent, it reminds me of the Dior eye colors that I veer away from, but it isn't quite up to par either way.

For a bargain find, this was a good deal for me, especially if you factor in the price of the eyeliner. (I got this for around $3.) But it's not a quad I regularly reach for. If you're looking to do a frosted pink and grey look, you could easily achieve that with this set but it's definitely more of a night out partying look rather than a sophisticated one, as labelled by the brand. If they lightened up the frost, or maybe if you just used the two grey shades and a more subtle pink and beige for the rest of your eye, you could achieve a more office-appropriate appearance. Or at least use a light hand with the frosted colors and it should look more urban professional than party hearty.

No comments:

Post a Comment