Thursday, February 24, 2011

Laura Mercier Liquid Eyeliner Gold Thread

I was excited to take home a liquid eyeliner from Laura Mercier's Silk Road Collection. There is currently no liquid liner from the brand. I've seen one in the past but it was in a bottle, not a pen one.


Laura Mercier Gold Thread Liquid Eyeliner ($26)

I felt that the liner had a very adventurous feel to it and I wanted in. It's a bit contradictory to the whole Laura Mercier look I normally see. I tried it at the counter and the associate applied it on me straight from the tube, very lightly. We determined that it did not go well with the Eye and Cheek palette so we cleaned it off and went with a black liner. Nonetheless, I liked it and bought it.


Lancome Artliner on top, Laura Mercier Gold Thread on bottom

The applicator tip reminds me a lot of my Lancome Artliner but it's more firm. After swatching it at home, I grew a little skeptical about whether or not I could actually use it. It has glitter bits and felt a bit rough going on. It was also much more yellow gold than I thought it was. I swatched it next to Urban Decay's Heavy Metal Glitter Eyeliner in Midnight Cowboy (which is really just golden glitter bits) and you can see how the gold is completely different on both liners.


Swatches from left: LM Gold Thread, UD Midnight Cowboy

I've never been out in public wearing Midnight Cowboy. I only have it because it came as part of a set. But from these swatches, I started to think that Gold Thread would be doomed to the same fate. Forging on, I figured I'd lock in a bunch of neutral shadows and just go for it. I lined above the upper lash line rather thickly and after I finished both eyes, I started to feel a light sting on the right eye. It intensified in time that I had to remove it because it was starting to hurt. For some reason, I seem to have reacted rather badly to this formula. This is rare for me with this brand. I can say it's probably never really happened. But there it is.

I returned the product, explaining to the associate that I had some sort of allergic reaction to it and she told me that it may have been better to apply the product with a brush, rather than straight from the tube. However, it is an eye product and noone wants to take big risks especially where their eyes are concerned. She did not give me any trouble with the return. I am left wondering what it was though. Maybe I put on too much. But anyway, for what it's worth, for those few short minutes that I had it on, I really did not like it much. It's just way too yellow for comfort. I imagine that more creative types would find some use for it but I'm a little too conservative for the look, I think. I gave it a shot and it didn't pay off. Now it's back to good old basic black for me :) Well actually, Laura Mercier has some new cake eyeliners out and I've ordered one. I'll report back once I've tried those out but I am very, very excited!

No comments:

Post a Comment