Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Laura Mercier Invisible Loose Setting Powder

I'm a fan of Laura Mercier's original Translucent Loose Setting Powder so getting me to switch to a new one is going to be hard.


Laura Mercier Invisible Loose Setting Powder

As I mentioned in my preview, this new powder is very soft in texture and very light. It's so finely milled that I feel like it's finer than dust. It does remind me of the MakeUp Forever HD Microfinish Powder but I think it's better. The difference is in the smoothness of the powder. I don't know any other silica-based setting powder that's this fine.

I've heard people complain that MUFE's powder is overpriced because silica powder is cheap at beauty supply stores. This is roughly the same price as MUFE but I'm certain that this is of better quality than the cheap silica powder one could "dupe" it with. The full-sized container is $34 for 0.4oz. While I like this new powder very much, I find the price a little hard to swallow, if only because the old Laura Mercier Loose Setting Powder is $34 for a full ounce. That's a big disparity.




I did purchase the full-sized Fan Powder Brush that is designed for this powder so I've been using that to apply it. With the Fan Brush, you use very little of the powder at a time. You just kind of sweep it across the skin very lightly. I've tried using it with a puff too and it does the job of my old powder in pretty much the same way. It sets the makeup without making you looked caked up. You really only need so little. That way, your glow still shows through. And while it supposedly gives your face a soft-focus effect that makes lines and imperfections less visible, I honestly can't tell if this is doing that. I just think that it sets the makeup nicely and it doesn't settle into fine lines.

I was concerned that it would be a little drying because I find MUFE to be that way. But testing this out in the winter, I had no issues whatsoever. I think it's an excellent setting powder and on me, it does look invisible. I think it looks even more invisible than my old powder which I sometimes feel leaves a tinge of white although that disappears once the skin's natural oils hit the surface. I'm not sure if it has oil-control properties but I've been feeling like I get less shiny when I use it so there must be something.




Laura Mercier's loose powder containers are probably one of the better-designed loose powder containers you'll find. It's not perfect but it does the job with minor spillage. I do think that they ought to add a flip-top lid to one side so I can pour it out without using the sifter if I want to, but that's just my suggestion. All in all, this is a wonderful setting powder. Despite my reservations about the price, I went and bought it anyway. It's a real performer. I highly recommend it.


No comments:

Post a Comment