Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Laura Mercier Foundation Primer - Hydrating

If you've never thought about using a primer before foundation, or if you have dry skin and haven't found one that you like, I highly recommend Laura Mercier's Hydrating Primer.


Laura Mercier Foundation Primer - Hydrating ($30)



I've used all the primers from this brand and while I don't consider my skin really dry, I've found that in the cooler months, the hydrating primer does a better job. What exactly does it do? A primer is something you put on after your moisturizer and before your foundation. If you only use a tinted moisturizer, I find that it's still better to use a primer before application. It makes the skin smoother by filling in lines and crevices and it kind of prepares the skin for the application of foundation. If anything, it's another layer of moisturizer really. But apart from moisturizing the skin, using a primer usually means your makeup will last longer and stay fresher-looking throughout the day. In the winter time, this is the only primer I use. It's the only one that doesn't leave me with flaky skin. It supposedly holds water in the skin and prevents it from evaporating and I think that it really does!

The primer comes in a non-greasy gel form that is easily absorbed by the skin. It's not completely odorless but the scent is so mild, you hardly notice it. I tend to be generous with my usage and typically use about 2 pea-sized drops for my face. I imagine you could get away with half. Then I give it a few minutes to absorb while I pick out my colors for the day and then I put on my foundation. In the winter time, I tend to use the Silk Creme Foundation the most and I often mix in a little Tinted Moisturizer. I've found that without the primer, the foundation/tinted moisturizer mix or any item by itself doesn't spread as easily and sometimes I get patches of uneven color. I really think that using the primer makes a difference that I very rarely skip it.

Compared to primers from other brands, I like this because it's not silicone-based. It doesn't have that slimy feel that primers from say, Smashbox or Armani have. The skin is left smooth and moisturized. Compared to other Laura Mercier primers, it's simply more moisturizing, which I think makes it better, especially in the cooler months. I don't currently intend to review the other Laura Mercier primers because this is my primer of choice. However, in the humid summer months, I switch to a MUFE oil-free primer. That, I may write a review for later in the year.

If you already love Laura Mercier's Hydrating Primer, they are currently selling a bonus size, a 3.4 fl. oz tube for $40, which is a better value than the $30 tube that's half the size. This may be a limited edition item so if you want to take advantage of it, now's the time. Of course, it takes me a half a year to go through an entire regular tube so I guess I'll be good for a whole year with the bonus size! If it's something you haven't tried, it's time to visit the nearest counter and get yourself a sample.

Laura Mercier Foundation Primer - Hydrating (Bonus Size)

No comments:

Post a Comment