Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Laura Mercier Eye Basics in Wheat

Laura Mercier Eye Basics in Wheat ($24)

I've been using this product for a few years now. I've tried Clinique and Smashbox but their eyeshadow bases didn't agree with me. Urban Decay's Primer Potion didn't work for me either, no matter how many variations they came out with and while Too Faced's Shadow Insurance seemed like it did the job, I disliked that the product would separate and sometimes, all I get out of the tube is some clear oil of some sort. I think if I'm going with that, I should just put foundation on my lids and shadow on top.




I was introduced to Laura Mercier's Eye Basics via a sample of Eye Bright. As an eyeshadow base, I was puzzled by its blue color and I wasn't sure how to use it. A Laura Mercier artist taught me to mix it with Wheat to get the eye brightening effect in a beige base color. Wheat was actually a pretty good match to my skin tone. As long as I didn't over-apply, it evened out the skin in the eye area and I liked the creamy texture very much. It was easy to use and didn't leave me tugging at the eye area. It dries fairly quickly too. You get just enough time to spread it out and then it's dry. Additionally, because this is such a good match for me, I sometimes tap excess product under my eyes and use it as a kind of concealer.

I like that Laura Mercier's Eye Basics come with a doe foot applicator. I can swipe it right on my lid or swipe my cream eye color brush on the tip to get just the right amount of product. If mixing with another Eye Basics color or any other cream product, you can just push the doe foot on to the back of your hand and get as much product as you can off of it and you just use your hand as a palette to mix the shades.


Doe foot applicator

I think it does extend the wear of eye shadow and although the beige color dulls bright shades a little bit, it works wonderfully as a base for neutral colors. Since I use browns, golds and beiges a lot, this is an excellent base color for me. Also because it matches my skin tone reasonably well, on lazy days, I could get away with just this, eyeliner and mascara and the look is so much more polished than if I didn't bother.


Thick Swatch of Wheat

Wheat Lightly Blended Out

As an eyeshadow primer that brings out the vibrancy of color eyeshadow and prolongs wear, I think that the NARS Smudge Proof Eyeshadow Base does the best job. But if your criteria for an eyeshadow primer is a little different, I think Laura Mercier's Eye Basics does a stellar job of evening out the color on your lids and creating a smooth canvas, to borrow a term from their Flawless Face routine. Also, because it comes in a variety of shades (six, I think), you could probably find something that matches your skin tone or a base that enhances whatever color eyeshadow you'd like to pop. You could even pick this up and use it as eyeshadow all by itself. While I use NARS Smudge Proof Eyeshadow Base for some fancy colors, I tend to use Wheat as more of an everyday base. It's one of those things that I'll probably keep on buying and using as long as they continue to make it.

A mini version is often included in Laura Mercier kits or gifts with purchase. The Colour Essentials Face Palette that I've reviewed previously has one. A full-sized one typically lasts me a year if I use it regularly.

No comments:

Post a Comment