Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Almay Intense I-Color Powder Shadow in Trio for Browns 001


This is my first experience with Almay eye makeup. I bought the Trio for Browns that came with a bonus eyeliner.


Almay Intense I-Color in Trio for Browns 001

You get three colors, to be used on specific areas to achieve the eye-enhancing effect that they are talking about. There are instructions on the back of the packaging so if you toss it, you're left to figure out what to do with these. Thankfully, I've seen a good number of tutorials online that show you how these work. And, all the trios have the same instructions. The design works this way. The bottom color goes over the entire lid. The middle shade goes on the crease and the top shade is for highlighting. Simple enough. In this trio, that means the lavender goes all over the lid, the brown on the crease and the champagne right under the brow. Here are some pictures of the shades in sunlight and swatches.





 
Being browned-eyed, I think I've heard enough about how violets are supposed to enhance the color of my eyes. So it's not surprising that it would be the most predominant color in this look. However, I feel that the quality is seriously lacking here. Swatched with primer, you can vividly see the colors on my arm but it doesn't translate that well on the eye. I feel that I have to pile it on to see the color. To me, it just lacks pigmentation. Granted, this soft color might be the effect Almay is going for. I just have a hard time with it. I am also uncomfortable with the shade of brown that they picked to be in this palette. I think it needs a greater contrast and the brown just isn't deep enough. It has some sort of golden tone and applies rather sheerly for my taste. Then if you try to blend in the champagne, it just gets so pale and shimmery.

It has to be noted that this is the Trio For Browns 001 as there are at least one or two other trio for browns that are out. There are also trios for blues, hazels and greens. This Trio For Browns also came with a bonus eyeliner. I'm not going to do a full review for it. I tried it a few times and did not like it much. I loved the color but it also applies rather sheerly and does not last at all. I use a deeper violet liner in its place. But here is a picture and swatch of it anyway.


Almay Intense I-Color Eyeliner in 001 Purple Amethyst


Eyeliner swatch, about 5 passes

To be fair, I understand the reasoning behind these colors and the effect is achievable. It's very daytime, very light and may be appropriate for just about any situation or season. I don't know about this being named "intense" because there is nothing intense about it. The color payoff and longevity leave much to be desired. At full price, I would have so returned this palette. But I am keeping it in case I am in the mood for these "light" colors. I can use them separately.

No comments:

Post a Comment