Friday, January 14, 2011

Revlon ColorStay Liquid Eye Pen

I'd been meaning to review this eyeliner for ages. I got this Revlon ColorStay Liquid Eye Pen with the Classic Nudes Collection kit that included the eyeshadow quad In The Buff.


Revlon ColorStay Liquid Eye Pen in Blackest Black

It's a pen-style eyeliner that's very easy to use. You don't have to dip it anywhere. You just open the cap and go.


Revlon ColorStay Liquid Eye Pen in Blackest Black

The ease of use mostly has to do with the Sharpie-style pointed tip. It's firm so you can draw the line thinly or thickly, depending on how you maneuver it. Let's examine that tip and compare it with a couple of other liners. I have a profile of the tip next to L'Oreal's Telescopic Liquid Liner and the next picture has it next to Lancome's Artliner so you can compare how it looks. The Revlon Liquid Eye Pen will always be the one on top.





The L'oreal and the Lancome liners both have a flexible plastic tip. Revlon's tip is smooth but very firm. Sometimes, I think it's too firm that if I use the pointed tip directly, it's a little rough on the eye. But that's also because it doesn't draw a heavy line. So I press harder. What kills this liquid liner is that you'd need a few passes to get the color dark enough. For something called "Blackest Black" it needs work. To show you what I mean, I swatched it three times. The first line is one pass, the second is two passes and the third line is 3 passes. And still it doesn't come out as black as one pass of the Lancome Artliner in Noir, which is the fourth line.




Now some people may like that it doesn't draw heavily because it's harder to mess up. It deposits less product as you line so you don't need to wait long for it to dry. You can also use it to draw on the lashline and it isn't going to get black liquid spilling everywhere. But you might have to push on the tip a little harder and hurt yourself.

To determine exactly how to describe the color, I also swatched it against the L'oreal Telescopic liner in Charcoal.



The three lines on the left are Charcoal. The first line is 3 passes, the second line is one pass and the third line is two passes of Charcoal. Then one pass of Blackest Black, two passes of Blackest Black and three passes of Blackest Black. The last line is one pass of the Artliner in Noir. My conclusion, if we concentrate on that one line in the very center of the picture, is that Blackest Black is actually more of a Black-Brown, Brown-Black or off-Black, if that exists.

I've had it for a few months now and whenever I use it, I think the line stays put. It lasts pretty much all day. I do a few passes when I use it. To be honest, I'm completely surprised that it hasn't dried up. I don't even bother storing it with the tip down. I just stuff it in my eyeliner drawer, on its side, like the rest of the pens and pencils in there. While I haven't exchanged my trusty Lancome Artliner for this yet, I'd say it's a good deal if you can get it with the quad like I did.

The Artliner is my gold standard for liquid liners. Revlon's Eye Pen, while easy to handle, runs low on pigment. Then again, using it, I don't ever have that problem where there's so much liquid on the tip that the line becomes super thick with one pass. I wish they could meet somewhere in the middle to create the perfect eye pen. I may not want to buy Revlon's Liquid Eye Pen at full retail but as I said, if you get this with an eyeshadow quad, don't toss it. Try it. It will get the job done.

No comments:

Post a Comment