Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Maybelline Instant Age Rewind Cream Compact Foundation

Winter is probably the only time I can comfortably wear cream foundation formulas. Now is the perfect time to put this baby to the test.


Maybelline New York Instant Age Rewind Custom Face Perfector Cream Compact Foundation


This foundation comes in a compact with a double-sided sponge, in a compartment that flips out from the bottom. The white side is for full coverage and the pink side for lighter coverage. The mirror is hidden underneath the sponge. It's not the most convenient place for a mirror but I apply foundation at home so this is unlikely to be used for touchups anyway. The sponge is really scratchy too.

White side sponge

Pink side sponge and hidden mirror

I use a damp foundation brush to apply cream formula onto the skin and then a damp sponge to blend it in. Surprisingly, this one was not too hard to blend. The formulation is really nice and buildable. I prefer a light layer so that I don't look like I'm wearing makeup or at least not a lot of it. I also like to set lightly with powder so the coverage doesn't budge.

So far, I'm pleased with this foundation. It feels nice, applies easily with my trusted method and it looks like it stays put all day. That's saying a lot for a cream because I normally prefer liquid foundations. It also doesn't make me greasy, although that could just be because there's hardly any humidity.

I can't say much about the anti-aging claims because I haven't noticed any changes in my skin since I've used it. Then again, such benefits will only be visible over time and since I use other anti-aging products, there's really no way to be sure which one is working. It also has SPF and no real detectable odor.

I have only one complaint. It is very hard to find the right color! I tried their color advisor guide on the Maybelline website to find the shade for me but it recommended a shade that was way too light. I bought what looked like it was 2 shades darker than what they recommended but I think it has a pink undertone so although it's wearable (like if I'm wearing a turtleneck, which is often in the winter), it's not quite right.

I got this cream compact foundation at my local Walgreens for less than $3. I just saw them on clearance and lucked out with the $2 coupon I found in my stash. Not my HG product but one I could get occasional use out of in the cold winter. If you can find the perfect shade for you, you're going to love this as temperatures drop.

No comments:

Post a Comment