Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Le Metier de Beaute Kaleidoscope Eye Kit Le Cirque

Walking through Neiman Marcus one time, I spied a Le Metier De Beaute counter. Although I purchase most of my beauty products from Nordstrom, my local Nordies does not have a LMdB counter. I took the chance to layer on a few of the kaleidoscope eye kits on my hand and fell in love with Le Cirque.



The shades are, from the top (and as described on the Neiman Marcus website), flamboyantes (shimmering stone), spectacle (a mauve-tinted grey), enrichissant (midnight ruby) and dynamique (deep sapphire). I'll have individual pictures in various lighting later in this post.





They didn't have the Le Cirque eye kit in the store so I ordered it online and it arrived a little banged up. I had half a mind to try and exchange it because some of the pans seem to be popping out and there were some scratches on the plastic casing. But I figured that if it holds up, I may not bother. So here are those individual pictures.


Flamboyantes

Flamboyantes

Spectacle

Spectacle


Enrichissant

Enrichissant
 
 
Dynamique



Dynamique

I took a few shots of the swatches to again show the colors and the way they bounce off light. I understand that the colors are meant to be layered but an artist from the brand told me that you don't necessarily have to do that if you don't feel like it. I feel that the top swatch is most true to color and brings out the most apparent tones in each shade.


Le Cirque Swatches from left: Flamboyantes, Spectacle, Enrichissant, Dynamique



They swatch so beautifully. The pigmentation on these is superb and the colors are rich and vibrant. It doesn't take much product for it to show up. Fallout is not an issue and neither is creasing. But while the quality of these shadows is definitely there, and the presentation is lovely, I personally did not find the color selection appealing once on. I need to clarify that this is my experience and it could be different for you. But these colors simply do not look good on me. Layering them did not help either. For some reason, any combination I came up with made me look old. At least 10 years older! Flamboyantes looked like a nice sheer wash and highlight but the grey tones do not suit me. Spectacle has amazing pigmentation but the mauve tones are really strong and are not flattering on me. Enrichissant makes me look tired and old. The reddish cast really messed up the palette for me, especially when combined with the mauviness of Spectacle. But even avoiding it didn't help because I couldn't get the jewel tones of Dynamique to appear. It did nothing to liven up the look.

I quickly did the math in my head and concluded that this kit is probably way overpriced. I could get 4 shades of my choosing from Laura Mercier and pop them into a customizable palette and only if I figure in the cost of the large mirrored palette would I come to the $95 that the kaleidoscope kit cost. But I would be able to choose the shades that suit me. I am sorely disappointed with this kaleidoscope kit and my mistake was probably that I did not have them put it on me at the counter. I swatched it and asked questions but I did not actually try it on. When you're making a $95 investment in makeup, you absolutely must have the professionals put it on you and instruct you on various ways to use it. Or you might make the same mistake that I did.

If LMdB still holds some charm for you and you'd like to see other colors, I know that there is already a new eye kaleidoscope out for winter. It is called Splendid Frost. I haven't seen it in person but from pictures and the description, the colors look to be of the same family as Le Cirque. I'm certain that they will layer differently but I think for now, I'd like to try something other than eye makeup from this brand.

No comments:

Post a Comment