Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Fresh Umbrian Clay Face Treatment

I read some interesting things about the Fresh Umbrian Clay Face Treatment so I wanted to give it a try. The article that I read hailed it as a miracle for clearing up breakouts. Although I expected it to be somewhat pricey, I was shocked to discover that the 3.4 oz tube was $48. Even with the 20% off coupon, I was still coughing up 40 bucks so I went into this with somewhat high expectations.



Upon bringing the product home, I discovered that the product can be used as a cleanser, a spot treatment for blemishes or as a facial mask. Things were looking optimistic. At least that meant it wasn't just good for one thing.

The literature cites properties of the product that make it good for removing toxins and with use, it should improve the condition of the skin. I first tried it as a mask but the instructions were not clear about how to use it. All it said was to leave it on for 3-5 minutes. After much experimentation, it looks like the skin needs to be damp but not sopping wet when you apply it. How much to apply? For cleansing, it says use a small amount but as a mask, there was no indication about how much product I needed to use. After much experimentation, I've determined that I need to pour out about 1.5 teaspoons of it on to my hand and spread it all over the face. Any less than that and I feel like there's nothing on and it won't harden. So once I'd figured that out, it's on to rinsing and I find myself using up a lot of water to rinse and rinse and rinse because I honestly cannot tell if the product is rinsing away or not. Once I felt that it was nicely rinsed off, it actually left my skin feeling nice and ready for moisturizer.

Fresh Umbrian Clay Face Treatment ($48)

All you need is a tiny amount when you use it as a cleanser. You apply it to damp skin and rinse. It has a kind of mud odor which I found a little offputting but not entirely bothersome. In time, I found that I hardly notice it. Interestingly, this leaves my skin feeling extremely smooth after using it as a cleanser. I don't think I felt that way when I used it as a mask. It just felt ok. Yet while it seems nice as a cleanser, I'm having a hard time getting used to the fact that it doesn't lather. I really miss lathering up.

As a spot treatment, I'm a divided on the results of my usage. I was expecting that any breakouts I would apply it to would shrink significantly. But I used it and left it on for a few hours before I rinsed it out and I'm not entirely sure that it did anything. While it says on the back of the tube that you can use it for spot treatment, it does not actually tell you how. I was thinking that maybe I didn't use enough product. But if I keep piling it on, it's going to run out really fast! This stuff ain't cheap, you know!

In the end, I feel like there were a lot of promises made on the product packaging and too little instruction. While it seems like it's a really good cleanser, I'm a little hesitant to add it to my daily routine because of the price of the tube. It just won't last that long. There's a bar available but it's not that much cheaper and I don't know about spot treatments using a bar. So what I'm feeling is, if I'm not getting the stellar results that I've been made to expect, it hardly seems worth repurchasing.

2 comments:

  1. As a spot treatment for breakouts, you might want to try just plain old toothpaste. Yes, that's right, toothpaste. Way cheaper than a $48.00 tube of clay from Italy. Good luck!!

    Kate

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the suggestion, Kate! I've heard that toothpaste does the job but I can't :( I react badly to fluoride formulas especially Colgate! Isn't that a real shame? I just stick to 2% salicylic acid for spot treatment.

    ReplyDelete