Friday, January 21, 2011

Evian as Toner

Before you dismiss me as another fool who thinks Evian is worth its weight in gold, I need to clarify that I don't think it's the Evian that is the miracle component here. It's water. I think water is amazing.


Evian Mineral Water Spray

See, my problem is, I seem to react badly to most toners. Drugstore brand, department store brand, no name brand. There are very few that don't sting me or make my cheeks turn red. There's even this Clinique face spray that's supposed to boost moisture in your skin. When I spray that on, I feel my face burn. So I've pretty much skipped toner until the day I discovered this substitute.

I once bought a 10 oz. spray bottle of Evian that came with two little 1.7 oz ones (pictured above). The 10 oz. bottle now costs $15 and as with most products, you get a better deal by the ounce if you get the larger bottle. The large bottle has sat on my bathroom vanity since I went on this crazy week where I tried to use Evian to wash my face exclusively. I read somewhere that some starlet does that and that's why her skin is so awesome. You can't blame an ordinary girl for trying, ok? But not only was it going to be too expensive to maintain (heck, I don't even buy bottled water to drink), it was too much trouble. I'm only too happy to jump back into the shower and wash my face with hard water and my favorite cleanser.

But it's winter and I was looking for a way to get some thick cream to spread nice and evenly on my face. I thought, well, a toner would do that but I'm not going there. So I lightly misted my face with Evian and on went the cream. How well did that work? Amazingly well, I'd say!

I don't even want to bother describing the product. It's water, ok? No odor, no color. The sprayer does a nice job of giving you the finest mist. On especially hot days, the mist is refreshingly cool. On winter days after I've just had a hot shower, it still feels cool.

I heard/read an analogy that made real sense to me one time, about how the skin is like a sponge and it absorbs better when it's wet. So if your skin is still damp as you get out of the shower and you slather on lotion, your skin should absorb more moisture and the lotion seals it in. It would kind of follow then that if you put on your moisturizer when your skin is damp (as when you've just sprayed water on it) that maybe the effect would be the same? I think so. But again, I just happened to use Evian. I imagine that simply spraying your face with water will do the same thing.

Interestingly, if you look up Evian on Sephora's website, they actually classify this spray that I'm using as a toner. Heck, it says so right on the bottle that it moisturizes, refreshes and tones. So maybe I'm not the only person who does this, huh? It's going to take me a long time to finish the 10 oz. bottle so I'm not going to trade up for plain ol' tap just yet. But when I do, I'll let you know if faucet water in a spray bottle is just as amazing.

2 comments:

  1. Thank you so much for you post. I too am very sensitive to toners but have always wanted to know what all the fuss was about. I used to wash my face with bottled water but that was a pain and not cheap. I have super dry skin and cant even rinse my face in the morning with out my skin becoming irritate or drying out. I thought about buying evian to spritz with in the morning and then applying my lotion to get that clean feel. You have now confirmed my belief in this method. Fingers crossed. Thanks for the great review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope it works out for you. I've since tried two other products that seem to work like the Evian spray. Have you tried any micellar water? CVS sells two brands that work well for me, the Lierac Cleansing Water and La Roche Posay Physiological Micellar Solution. As a method of dispensing though, I think I like the Evian's sprayer best as the other two are to be pumped/poured.

      Delete