Friday, December 10, 2010

Smashbox Instant Eyes Shadow and Liner Palette

The Smashbox Instant Eyes Shadow and Liner Palette features 4 eyeshadows and 3 cream liners in a tiny palette with a mirror and double-ended brush. Sephora had been selling it at a bargain price and when it arrived, it had no box, just bubblewrap. I have a theory that such items that they feature on sale sometimes come from sets that are broken apart and sold as individual items. Not necessarily a bad thing if a set isn't interesting enough to spend $45 on.

Smashbox Instant Eyes Shadow and Liner Palette



Smashbox Instant Eyes Shadow and Liner Palette ($15)

I was really excited to use the palette on the day it arrived that I wasn't able to take pictures of the pristine product. I'd already used it once before I shot these. The top part slides to the right to reveal the liners at the bottom compartment.


It's a handy size for travel or for stashing in your purse. The brush is useable. I normally toss brushes in little compacts but I tried this one and determined that it might come in handy at some point.

Eyeshadow Swatches

The swatches above may tell you that the shadows don't have the greatest pigmentation. They are not named individually and are swatched as they appear in the palette. The 2 darker shades on the left show up more and the lightest one matches my skin so well that you hardly see the swatch. Worn alone, you would have to put on a lot of product to get visible color. However, I've found that these work rather nicely with the liners. I use the liners as a cream shadow base and pat the shadows on top.

Smashbox Cream Eyeliners

Again, the liners are not named individually, but you have the three shades swatched from left to right as they appear in the palette. I tend to stay away from cream liners because they don't last on me. They end up all over my lid after a couple of hours. These are no exception. However, I love these as an eyeshadow base. It makes the shadows more apparent and last all day. They're cream so they can be spread across the lid with ease.

I'm happy with my purchase because the product was as I expected. I've had experience with Smashbox products before and knew that the shadows would be sheer and the liners are better off used underneath the shadows. I think this is a good set to create natural looks in a number of combinations. The liner used as a shadow base intensifies the color where needed. One of my favorite combinations uses the center liner as a base for the gold eyeshadow shade, third from left. You can use the lightest shade as a highlight under the brows and darken the outer corner and crease just a little with the brown shade. The entire effect is a very neutral gold eye. Tightline with my favorite cake eyeliner and add some mascara and I could wear this everyday.

If you like semi-sheer shadows and want a portable palette to create neutral looks, this palette will work for you. If you're expecting more than that, you may want to look at other brands.

No comments:

Post a Comment