Saturday, December 25, 2010

Ombres Perlees de Chanel Eyeshadow Palette

Ombres Perlees de Chanel Eyeshadow Palette

A girl's gotta keep to a budget, so I limited myself to this one item from the Chanel Spring 2011 Makeup Collection. But oh my, it is the most beautiful thing ever. I couldn't stop taking pictures of it.





I like how some pictures show the color differences. I like others because they show the sparkles in the three shades on the right. I also wanted to show the palette closed but I figured it wouldn't hurt to put some pearls on there. It reminds me that this is the "pearl" palette. After all, these Chanel palettes tend to all look the same.


Ombres Perlees de Chanel Eyeshadow Palette ($65)



From left: Blanc Perle, Rose Porcelaine, Violine Clair, Gris Vert, Gris Noir Scintillant

The palette is supposed to have a special finish reminiscent of pearls. They're not glittery but rather, they seem to shine and reflect a rainbow of colors depending on the lighting. They really did a wonderful job on that pearl finish. I don't think I've ever seen anything quite like it.

If it looks so smooth and buttery, it is. Almost like a cream shadow but doesn't quite adhere as well. It is still powder, after all. The texture does remind me of the new Chanel duo eyeshadows. One of the two colors in every duo is in this "cream" formula.

The first two shades in the palette, the white and the peach, appear frosty in some lighting. But the white color is amazing. It really looks like a pearl when you put it on. The peach is probably the most useable shade with some color on it. The dark colors have some really tiny multi-colored glitter so they glimmer with changing colors in the light. The glitter is most apparent in the darkest grey black shade and the violet one although when you put it on, the glitter effect dies down. In some lighting, you don't see the glitter at all, but the entire shade seems to change color. The violet looks kind of taupe in some pictures and the peach either looks pink or almost coral.


Ombres Perlees de Chanel Eyeshadow Palette Swatches



Forgive me for having so many pictures of the same swatches. But I think you can see that they kind of look different in each one. It's the effect of light on the finish of these shadows. I really loved playing with them and even layering them on top of each other. I used the sponge applicator that came in the palette to apply all but the white shade in the swatches. I used the brush applicator for that. The sponge actually does a better job. When you apply it to your lid, it's going to be the same way unless you use primer. Without primer, this palette just killed me. I was so disappointed that the color wouldn't adhere well to the lid and I was patting on layer after layer without achieving the desired effect. It also creased in less than 5 hours in the winter time. That's pretty bad.

With further experimentaion, I've discovered that the only way to get these colors to appear is to use a cream base. I used the NARS Smudge Proof Eyeshadow Base and the colors finally turned up. I no longer got creasing. I also tried using it with an old cream eyeshadow and that worked brilliantly. A Chanel associate recommended using it with one of the Ombre D'Eau Fluid Iridescent Eyeshadows, a taupe shade called Sand to be precise. When I get my hands on one of those, I'll let you know if it helps.

Overall, I'm ok with this palette. I just don't think it's all that. I was really impressed when I saw it and it was just so pretty to look at that it took me days before I could bear to dip my brush into it. Really, I was that in love with its appearance. Then it was a letdown because I couldn't get much pigment to show up when I applied it and it creased badly in not even a full day's use. With primer and a base, the colors show up a bit better and the creasing problem was solved. However, I am sorely disappointed in the violet shade. It remains sheer no matter what you do with it. It is certainly not a violet lover's dream. The peach/white/green combo works best for me.

All said, there's no reason one can't wear this in the winter if you already have the palette. For spring, I'm still waiting for the one. These also aren't my real everyday colors so you'd have to pardon me if I reach for my Guerlain Rue De Passy palette a lot more.

No comments:

Post a Comment