Monday, December 6, 2010

Barbie lives on

On the requisite trip to Target yesterday, I spent a good amount of time hanging out at the Barbie aisle. The choices remain endless (but stocks don't!). I zeroed in on the Barbie I Can Be series which Target was selling for $7.99. This week, this is the best deal on Barbie that you can find (considering the regular retail of the specific doll and not including Barbie dolls that are regularly-priced at $20 and up). Granted, they had the Basic Barbie on sale for less than $5, and you could still get a doll for around that price, if it's a gift for someone special, you'd want a little more than your basic doll in a two-piece, no?

It reminded me to dig up my old Barbie Loves Stila palette that hasn't been getting much attention. It's the old All Doll'd Up eyeshadow palette from 2009 with 4 pans, 12 colors and a lenticular Barbie image in front. There's no reason you can't recreate a Barbie eye with this one.

Barbie Loves Stila All Doll'd Up Eyeshadow Palette

Inside Barbie Loves Stila All Doll'd Up Palette

I got this palette for $28 and it was a spectacular value. I say that because this was one of those palettes where the eyeshadows were all of excellent quality and you can mix and match these pans with other regular size Stila single eyeshadows in your stash. So the palette is reusable and you get all these colors. My favorite pan is the blue, black and silver grey one. I used it to recreate the look of the Barbie on the front of the palette.

Sadly, the regular retailers no longer carry this product. I saw a Barbie Loves Stila Talking Palette on sale for $15 on Stila's website if you really have an itch, but it only has 4 colors. They also still have the lip enamel trio which now sells for $10. I bought that trio when it came out (in the same season I bought the palette I have in the picture above) but promptly returned it to Sephora because I realized that I would probably only use one (pale pink) of three colors. If you're a fan of hot pink and red though, $10 is a very good value for 3 lip products.

2 comments:

  1. Is this okay for toddlers' dress up? I am hunting for a Barbie present (no dolls) for a 3 year old and I really want to get her something interesting. I am of course wary of allergies so make up is probably not the best idea but it does make me wonder.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't think this is something you'd want to give a toddler. It's not really designed for children and it might be challenging to remove. They do have makeup sets for kids but they're mostly lippies.

    I could suggest getting clothes and accessories for existing Barbies instead. I prefer those over Barbie furniture. Or if you really want something for the child and not the Barbie, they have accessories for kids too.

    ReplyDelete