Thursday, September 30, 2010

Nicole By OPI Party in the Penthouse

On a recent trip to Target, I was able to pick up one of the colors in Nicole by OPI's collection inspired by Gossip Girl. I got Party in the Penthouse, which so far was the only shade that appealed to me from that collection. This polish came in a box with two, yes two bottles of the same shade. 


See? Two bottles. For $1.74!!! Target clearance is nuts.

Nicole by OPI in Party in the Penthouse

My previous experience with Nicole by OPI nail polishes is that they tend to apply sheerly. This shade was no different. It takes at least 4 coats, the base and top coat not included, to get decent opacity.

Nicole By OPI Party in the Penthouse

I've been playing around with it and tried using one coat of Party in the Penthouse over a nice dark base color (black) and I thought that it actually looked better. But again, it takes 4 coats, one black and 3 of Party in the Penthouse. This is a bit of a problem when it comes to drying time. If you notice, it's very thick. If it dries correctly and I do nothing all day and the next day, it will stay put. Otherwise, upkeep will be quite troublesome.


Party in the Penthouse with a Black base

Then I tried another combination. This time I applied a rather sheer greenish teal shade called Respect the World on top of Party in the Penthouse. Respect The World needed that darker base to appear like the color you see on the bottle. In the next picture, I'm wearing Party in the Penthouse on the top, the combination in the center and Respect the World on the bottom nail.


From top: Party in the Penthouse, Mixed with Respect the World, Respect the World

So this worked out pretty well since I can do a bunch of combinations although I'm still not sure what I'm going to do with two bottles since this is not a color family that I envision wearing often. With two coats, it lasts about as long as any Nicole by OPI polish, 3 to 4 days, before needing touch ups. With more than two coats of color, I always end up messing it up before the third day. But it might work out better on toes.

No comments:

Post a Comment