Tuesday, August 10, 2010

JK Jemma Kidd Show Glow Bronzing Powder

On a recent run of extreme Target shopping, I decided to pick up the JK Jemma Kidd Show Glow Bronzing Powder. Now at $5, originally $20, I couldn't help myself. I'd lingered over the JK display for ages and have never picked up a single thing.

I don't know exactly how many shades this came in (looks like only 2) but I got 01-expose, which I assume is the lightest bronzer. I do know that there is another bronzer variety in this brand, a waterproof one with a completely different packaging, round pan, I think. Here is what mine looks like:




The sun wasn't very bright in the room on the day that I took these pictures so I really had no choice but to use the flash version in at least one shot, so you can see the color. Then for the swatch below, I used a disposable sponge and swiped it neatly across the center of the pan so that on the left side you see the lighter shade and on the right side, you see the darker shade. If you swirl your brush across the whole thing, you probably get a shade that's somewhere in between.


Expose Swatch

I picked up this bronzer with the Sonia Kashuk Wooden Handle Kabuki Brush which was a disappointment. I couldn't even bear to take a picture and write the review before I rushed back to Target to return the product. Quick take: super scratchy. I loved everything about it except how scratchy the hairs were and that outweighed all the positive qualities of the brush. So when I used it to apply this product, the result was not as pretty as I'd hoped and I almost returned it too. It applied unevenly and left muddy-looking patches. But I tried again another day with my trusty Ecotools brush and again another day with a Sephora bronzer brush and I've decided that JK was worthy of a place on my desk.

The color is buildable. It really doesn't look muddy at all. I'm reasonably fair (NC-25) and I tried this over my Laura Mercier Oil-Free Tinted Moisturizer in Bisque and it looked alright. I thought it looked better when I used it with my Laura Mercier Mineral Powder spf15 in Natural Beige. I think it mostly has to do with the way it blends in when I have a powder-based foundation product on. Lots of buffing helps. The texture is good, not too powdery like cheap products can be and not dry like some baked products I've tried in the past. You get a reasonable amount on your brush but it doesn't get all messy. The back of the product says the contents are made in Italy but it is assembled in China. I don't sense an odor and I am happy with it. I would not call it an exceptional product but worth keeping at $5, which is what I got it for. If you chance upon that orange sticker, this is worth picking up.

No comments:

Post a Comment