Friday, August 27, 2010

MAC Studio Stick Foundation SPF 15

I've been looking for a nice concealer to have in my purse for touch-ups. While I love my Laura Mercier Undercover Pot, I've given up on the idea that it is good for travel. In theory, having your supersoft undereye concealer, your more opaque spot corrector and loose powder in one handy little pot sounds great. But then I have to carry the little concealer brush (I'm not dipping my hand in the pot, no!) and a retractable powder brush or mini-puff too?! And then using the loose powder while out is oh so messy! There had to be a better way.

I tried Bobbi Brown a few months back. I have the customizable palette and again, in theory, it's great to have your eyeshadow, eyeliner, blush, bronzer, lipcolor and foundation/concealer in a 6-pan palette to carry everywhere with you. But without going into too much detail about how this plan totally bombed, the foundation/concealer selection did not yield as good a match as I wanted. The formula of the foundation/concealer while very creamy, also felt heavy on my face. It settled into fine lines and just didn't work.
So my search continued at the nearest outlet. At the Cosmetics Company Outlet I came across the MAC Studio Stick Foundation SPF15. I had just thrown out an old Laura Mercier Foundation stick that was a major disappointment so I had to limit my expectations when I tried MAC's. But I was surprised that the color-match was very good (NC-25, to match the NC-25 Studio Fix Foundation I wore mixed with Laura Mercier's Bisque Oil-Free Tinted Moisturizer). It also did not leave me feeling like I had a mask on like the old foundation stick I just threw out. At $22 with tax, it felt like a bargain.

Sticks are easy to use. You twist and you see how much product is out. You dab and then you just spread it around with your finger or a brush. It doesn't spread easily because it's not a liquid. You just kind of press it into the skin and even it out. The coverage is rather opaque but you do need to set it with powder.


While I bought this with the intention of using it as a concealer, in colder months, it actually makes a nice foundation. Well, it IS a foundation stick. The coverage is good and it's really moisturizing although the color is a little different from the Studio Fix liquid foundation. This looks a little lighter and less yellow then the NC25 in the liquid. I do like it though. The only problem is, I believe this product has been discontinued. If you find your shade available at your favorite Cosmetics Company Outlet, stock up! I might pick up another one the next time I'm there.

No comments:

Post a Comment